Friday, July 17, 2009

AND IT BEGINS

I made it! I am here in Tavula, Fiji after an overnight layover in LA and a 10 hour flight across the Pacific Ocean. The island is beautiful. I'm staying in a little house on top of a hill with three bedrooms (jam packed with bunk beds), a kitchen (no stove or microwave but we do have a fridge), and a bathroom (the shower may not have water but thank heavens we have a toilet). I've been assigned to be the co-lead of our project working with libraries and schools for elementary age children and to be on the committee for the building of adobe stoves. I can't wait to start working with these people. The Fijian/Indo-Fijian people are the sweetest people I've ever come in to contact with and I've not been here 24 hours. You can't come across anyone without hearing Bula! (hello/good morning/have a good day/whatever) and a wave. I've never seen so many smiles. Even in these circumstances, these are the happiest people I've ever met. I am going to be learning a lot from these people. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get my pictures up yet but I'll work on it. I'll have to find me a flash drive... hmm. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. You made it!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!! I truly hope that this adventure is everything that you hope for. You are in our prayers EVERYDAY. The Fijians are lucky to have you!!! :) Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it safely! We miss you already. Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you but am so excited for you!!! Keep me posted! LOve ya

    ReplyDelete